Robotech - The Official Headquarters of the Robotech Universe!
The Macross SagaThe Robotech MastersThe New GenerationThe Shadow Chroniclescoming soon
NEWS
COMMUNITY
INFOPEDIA
GALLERY
STORE
SEARCH

RDF MEMBER
JOIN NOW
Forgot your Password?

RT Soundtracks
New Tunes!

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles movie
On Blu-Ray & DVD

faqs
Community » Forums » Gaming Hall » Discussion Thread » Page [1] 2

Topic Author

Discussion Topic

Cyclone  

Subject: D20 Robotech 
Started on: December 10, 2003 - 7:59:56 PM

I've been working on it, using D20 Modern and Guardians of Order's D20 Mecha.

It's definitely still a work in progress, and many of the pages are not up yet, however, I thought I'd post it up here, see what people think.

http://members.citynet.net/betweentwilight/d20rtech/

The mailing I'm using as my "home base" for this -- started by someone else -- is here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/D20Robotech/

"When they ran out of ships, they used guns. When they ran out of guns, they used knives and sticks and their bare hands. They were magnificent."
Return to Message Index Report a problem

Response 1 of 33 

SetoKaiba  

Subject: Hmm... 
Posted on: December 10, 2003 - 8:15:46 PM

looks a bit like that conversion my roommate did... using my old Robotech RPG books and a D20 modern book.

Interesting...

Response 

xsouporherox  

Subject: Suggestion 
Posted on: December 14, 2003 - 8:25:31 PM

For some reason I'm really not a fan of the base/advanced class system from D20 modern. Especially the character creation system, just seemed, I dunno, odd to me. I'd look at BESM D20 or work at changing around the D&D core classes, but that's just a suggestion.

Response 

Cyc  

Subject: Naughty 
Posted on: December 14, 2003 - 10:38:01 PM

looks a bit like that conversion my roommate did... using my old Robotech RPG books and a D20 modern book.

Even if they no longer hold the license, PB still own the actual copyrights of those books and the system in them, and they're decidedly lawyer happy on people converting their system to other systems. Be careful.

IMO you'd getter much better results converting from scratch rather than using PB's flawed stats to begin with, but that's me and I dislike D20 so my opinions worthless, right?

Cyc

The frisky non-living Marlene with questionable choices in employment and underwear.

RT.com Forum and Fan-Art/Fan-Fic Mod. Email me if you see any problems or have any questions.

Response 

Millefune  

Subject: Universal 
Posted on: December 15, 2003 - 7:22:44 AM
Edited on: December 15, 2003 - 7:28:50 AM

Hey Cyclone and Cyc,

Cyclone: Note how the Guardians of Order totally changed a lot of stuff essential to the D20 System. Makes it much harder to convert and use the D20 Modern system. You're better off using the Big Eyes Small Mouth D20 system (also published by Guardians of Order), because a lot of the way things work in the D20 Mecha use the new/different foundations placed in BESM D20.

Listen to Cyc too. Copyright is a very serious issue. My group and I are alredy playing a Macross/Gundam/Full Metal Panic/etc. type D20 Modern game. However, we are using the Mecha Crusade issue of Polyhederon/Dungeon Magazine, wich is licensed by Wizards of the Coast, to adapt Mecha into the D20 Modern system. If you make up new stats based on copyrighted material be sure not to distrubute it. It's only illegal once it starts getting shared to the public.

Cyc: I am agreeing to disagree with you on D20. If it wasn't such a good base system, it wouldn't be the most popular and largest one availible. Wizards of the Coast is also benevolent enough to put out the Open Gaming License which allows a much larger variety of material to be put out. Palladium's system was all about combat and number details. While D20 does have a bunch of stuff on combat, it's not nearly as insane as the Palladium system. I prefer ROLE Playing Games not ROLL Playing Games.

Don't think I'm dissin' you though, I'm not. I give much props to you. You're one of the better moderators that I've seen around web forums. I can understand the garbage you have to go through (I used to be a moderator). Your patience, understanding, and professionalism of how you run things around here is quite high. I can almost swear you're a girl (your icon helps too). Yes, I'm stereotyping. No, I'm not trying to get brownie points.

C'ya laterz!

Response 

Cyc  

Subject: That's it! No forum for you! 5 weeks! 
Posted on: December 15, 2003 - 3:26:57 PM

I'm a guy! Guy!

Also I'm not recommending PB over D20...infact I find DP9's SilCore or GoO's Tri-stat far superior to both.

Cyc

The frisky non-living Marlene with questionable choices in employment and underwear.

RT.com Forum and Fan-Art/Fan-Fic Mod. Email me if you see any problems or have any questions.

Response 

Hot Shot  

Subject: I'll have to go d20. 
Posted on: December 18, 2003 - 6:27:12 PM

I like the D&D 3e (now 3.5). I play Star Wars d20. I already know the basic mechanics, so learning the rules for a differant setting or game world will be easier.

Most other systems are either to narrow in character creation or to detailed. Combat in most gaming systems is to complex.

Have been playing D&D (1st edition) since 1985. . I was also lucky enough to help introduce D&D 3e back in 2000. Had to sign a non-discloser form , and was sent an advanced or beta copy. So yeah, my opinion is biased.

"Never underestimate the micronians. They are more resiliant than they seem." Breeti

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda, Jedi Master

Response 

xsouporherox  

Subject: Toughie 
Posted on: December 19, 2003 - 8:33:19 PM

I do like D20, though it definately does over simplify combat to the point of idiocy, but it plays well. From my limited experience with Tri-Star dX, I think it's a solid system and I'm hoping to get ahold of some SilCORE products soon.

Response 

Cyclone  

Subject: Responses 
Posted on: December 21, 2003 - 6:24:23 PM

For some reason I'm really not a fan of the base/advanced class system from D20 modern.

Well, I am. Creating specific base classes for each character type is seriously problematic when you get to The New Generation, which was one of my major complaints with Palladium's RPG (alongside MDC, ludicrous missile rules, and human body armor that's as tough as a battlepod).

Even if they no longer hold the license, PB still own the actual copyrights of those books and the system in them, and they're decidedly lawyer happy on people converting their system to other systems. Be careful.

Talking to the wrong person here. The only systems I'm using are D20 Modern and D20 Mecha (and the D20 Mecha is only use for building the mecha).

Note how the Guardians of Order totally changed a lot of stuff essential to the D20 System.

Not for D20 Mecha, they didn't. All they changed from D20 Modern for that is the autofire and burst fire system, which I wasn't particularly fond of either.

Now, can I get some actual feedback on what's actually on the site? 'Cause all I got on that, so far, is the first reply (which was largely uninformative).

"When they ran out of ships, they used guns. When they ran out of guns, they used knives and sticks and their bare hands. They were magnificent."

Response 

Lyonheart  

Subject: Thanks 
Posted on: December 23, 2003 - 2:02:33 PM

Thanks a lot, this is some good stuff. I'm working on my own system for D20 Robotech. I'm incorperateing some of my own Ideas for Autofire and Armor. The big stumbling point I'm haveing is rules for Anti Missle Fire. Any Ideas on that point? Would You like to see what I come up with? I'm useing D20 modern, but I don't have Mecha D20. I may barrow Ideas from "Weard Wars" and "Traveler D20" but if I post my stuff online I'll have to remove anything that isn't Open License

Response 

rogerbert  

Subject: Character Classes in d20 Modern 
Posted on: February 22, 2004 - 1:39:40 PM

Greetings.

Something I tend to dislike about d20 Modern is the base classes. Although I do agree that exceeding generic classed in the d20 Modern book might work well for creating "normal" characters in the world of the Invid Invaded Earth, I don't like those same base classes for any military characters. ROBOTECH to me seems best played with Military based characters (at least at some point in their history).

R. Bert

Response 

JOHN SHAFT  

Subject: d20 classes 
Posted on: February 23, 2004 - 6:14:35 AM

I agree about the character classes in d20 Modern. I've been trying to convert Robotech over to d20 as well and I have been using the d20 mecha pilot class and seperating that into Destroid pilot and Veritech pilot classes(like the Palladium books). I'm in the procees of modifying the class skills for each one so they are not exactly the same. I also want to come up with different classes such as the basic RDF grunt and so forth. The process has been slow especially with having two little kids to take care of....

Response 

JOHN SHAFT  

Subject: comments on Cyclone's d20 Robotech 
Posted on: February 27, 2004 - 1:12:14 PM

Your conversion from d20 to Robotech looks great but I noticed a couple things that you may want to change(just my opinion, which dosen't mean much):

Give the Tomahawk M-89 machine gun the Automaticx2 option so that it is able to use saturation and extended burst fire(same with the 25mm autocannon)

Give the GU-11 the armor penetrating ability since it fires the Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot rounds

I'm mixed about the classes as far as being at least third level to be any sort of mecha pilot. I kind of like that formula but in the same token I would also like to be able to roll up a 1st level Veritech Pilot character. I haven't decided what way I would like best(to suit my own campaign needs). I agree that I think it's very appropriate for Invid Invasion but what about Southern Cross or Macross?. Maybe one way to look at it is have a person progress as a regular fighter pilot before being able to advance to a Veritech Fighter pilot(or a tank pilot before going on to a Destroid pilot). I have been trying to convert Robotech to d20 for a while but have made limited progress. One of my ideas for Southern Cross was that if someone wanted to bcome a Hovertank pilot they would first have to progress through the Tactical Corps(or if they wanted to become part of the Desert Divison or Marsh Division and so on..). I think this would fit in nicely with your Hovertank pilot class as a character would have to be a 3rd level Tactical Corps soldier before becoming a 1st level Hovertank pilot.
Anyway great job on what you have so far!

Response 

SpyOne  

Subject: Cyclone 
Posted on: February 28, 2004 - 5:47:04 AM

At first I thought your designs were over-powerful and thus over-costly. Then I realized it was my designs that were broken.

Aside from minor quibbles about how best to reflect this or that, the only thing I can see worth complaining about is the "nose-laser refit".
As others have said elsewhere, the Nose Lasers was an error in some outsourced animation, and best regarded as a mistake rather than canon.
Your technobabble about why it was done is quite good, though.

I am not at all sure that Mecha Pilot would need to be broken down further. Yes, Veritech pilots have different skills than Destroid Pilots, but the overlap is so large as to probably be best served in a one-class-fits-all kind of way.

Oh, and I'm not sure I'd give the VF-1A the any mode transformation ability. I know, it's only 1 Mecha Point, but I cannot recall anyone but Max ever going straight from Fighter to Battloid in a single turn (as a Move action, no less).
Remember, when Rick first pulls the big lever marked "B" (in a VF-1D), it clearly went through Guardian Mode in the middle.

One More Thing: Why did you make transformation a Move Action? d20 Mecha handles it as a Full Action, leaving the character flat-footed (which seems to fit with the times Roy or Rick change modes, mostly out-of-combat), and the Mechamorphasis Feat Lets you use a Move Action and keep your Dex bonus, which reflects well the times Max goes from Fighter to Battloid in mid combat, fires on a target while kicking another, then changes back to Fighter and zooms away.

IMO.

Response 

SpyOne  

Subject: Pesky Edit Window 
Posted on: February 28, 2004 - 6:03:02 AM
Edited on: February 28, 2004 - 6:08:32 AM

I meant to ask why you made Transformation an Attack action, as your Feat lets you move, transform, move again. To me, it reflects the things Max does better if you make it Transform then attack, or attack then transform.
I guess I see a: Full Move, next turn transform and attack, next turn attack and transform, then Full Move away.
Where you see a: Move and transform, next turn make 2 attacks, then transform and Move.

Response 

Cyclone  

Subject: Responses 
Posted on: February 28, 2004 - 2:12:42 PM
Edited on: February 28, 2004 - 2:18:28 PM

Lyonheart: Conveniently, D20 Mecha has rules for shooting down missiles.

JOHN SHAFT: The machineguns are not gatlings, and I tend to reserve Automatic x2 for gatlings. WRT the GU-11, even one level of Armor-Penetrating is as good as an anti-tank missile, and I doubt the GU-11 is that potent.

SpyOne: The nose lasers may have been an animation error, but they're in there, so there they remain. As for the classes, you'll note that the classes I've created all have unique class features that are tailor-made to take advantage of the various mecha's strengths. I gave the Valks the any-mode transformation because, although it cycles through Guardian mode, it does so very quickly. Making transformation a move action is due to the fact that I vaguely recall seeing Our Heroes transform and fire on what amounts to a single initiative count.

Also, don't credit me for the technobabble explaining the nose lasers. As I explained on the front page, most of the text (including that) came from either here or the RRG.

Response 

dragonwim  

Subject: had a look 
Posted on: February 28, 2004 - 9:25:03 PM
Edited on: February 28, 2004 - 9:29:56 PM

i took a look at the site you listed above,

http://members.citynet.net/betweentwilight/d20rtech/
and it reminds me a lot of what i've read in the d&d players guide. it looks like it would be a lot of fun.
isn't you quote from babalon five? if i'm mistacen please tell me, but it sounds like something i heard at the beging of one of the b5 movies.

~michael

child- mom, this giant robot followed me home from school. can i keep it?
mother- only if you clean yor room.

Response 

Cyclone  

Subject: Well... 
Posted on: March 1, 2004 - 9:32:46 AM

Yes. It is from B5.

Babylon 5: In The Beginning, as narrated by Londo.

Response 

rogerbert  

Subject: Hello. 
Posted on: March 21, 2004 - 9:28:23 AM

Greetings.

Has their been much progess on this since you first posted and is there actual talk on your Yahoo! list?

Thanks.
PS: Can anyone out their reccomend a good list for discussion of Mecha and d20 as well?

R. Bert

Response 

SpyOne  

Subject: Recommended Board 
Posted on: March 24, 2004 - 6:27:01 AM

Not a list but a board:
www.guardiansorder.com

Guardians of Order maintains message boards for their BESM, BESMd20, d20 Mecha, and other product lines.

The Open Content parts (ie most) of BESMd20 and d20 Mecha are available for free download, and there is much discussion of how to play Macross or Mospeada.
Return to Message Index  |  Go to Page [1] 2 Report a problem

By using this Web site, you are agreeing to the Terms of Use.
Privacy Policy | Contact Us | About Robotech.com

©1985-2012 Harmony Gold USA, Inc. All rights reserved.