Robotech - The Official Headquarters of the Robotech Universe!
The Macross SagaThe Robotech MastersThe New GenerationThe Shadow Chroniclescoming soon
NEWS
COMMUNITY
INFOPEDIA
GALLERY
STORE
SEARCH

RDF MEMBER
JOIN NOW
Forgot your Password?

RT Soundtracks
New Tunes!

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles movie
On Blu-Ray & DVD

faqs
Community » Forums » Gaming Hall » Discussion Thread

Topic Author

Discussion Topic

C0L_Wolfe  

Subject: Palladium's New Generation sourcebook shipping in December 
Started on: August 29, 2011 - 8:13:54 AM

Palladium Books is finally sending in the New Generation source book to Hg for Approval. and I for one are a Little skeptical about the Content of the book.
1) they included most of the invid information in the Main Shadow Chronicles book, so will this book be mostly Re-printed materials, I already bought?
if so, why waste my money on a book printed in a format I dislike anyway (the Manga size), for information I already have.
2) one of the new Ideas Palladium's Writer Jackson Irvine has decided to Bless us with is the "Franken-Mecha".... Chimera Mecha made up of different mecha form all 3 parts of the show.. now I know the Zentradi-Stinger Mecha did a similar thing in the Comics, but if were gonna start including things form the comics... will the Clone and MORDECAI comics get into the RPG too?
3) will the Mecha from the Shadow-Chronicles movie actually make it into the RPG in the New Generation book???? The Super-Alpha, Super-Beta and other Designs from the Movie, not in the Movie's RPG book...

If Anyone at HG reads this, Please Keep the "Franken-Mecha" on the cutting room floor... its something that's not in the New Generation Era of the Show, and would better be left to a comic-based RPg Source book, not a main-Era book.

Masters Saga Fan
Return to Message Index Report a problem

Response 1 of 18 

Lt Gargoyle  

Subject: New Generation sourcebook from Palladium 
Posted on: August 29, 2011 - 5:18:08 PM

i would just like to get robotech source book, but i do not need a full reprint either. though i would not be surprised to see the invid stuff reprinted as this is the era they are in.

I would like to have additional material from the invid hives to the little things not in the TSC book. but whatever it is i am hoping for a ton of new material as well.

Response 

snakeeyes1970  

Subject: New Generation sourcebook from Palladium 
Posted on: August 29, 2011 - 6:16:13 PM

The "official" rules for Franken-Mechs is partly the reason i'm getting this book

Response 

ShadowLogan  

Subject: ... 
Posted on: August 30, 2011 - 7:53:38 AM

2) one of the new Ideas Palladium's Writer Jackson Irvine has decided to Bless us with is the "Franken-Mecha".... Chimera Mecha made up of different mecha form all 3 parts of the show.. now I know the Zentradi-Stinger Mecha did a similar thing in the Comics, but if were gonna start including things form the comics... will the Clone and MORDECAI comics get into the RPG too?

Considering the Miss Macross Contest's plane is described as a mecha by the event's announcer, "Franken-mecha" could cover a wide base that goes beyond the robotics platforms we commonly think of as mecha in the show.

If "mecha" really refers to wider base we do see mecha in this state during NG (off the top of my head):
-Dustry Ares "red shirt" targets could be said to have been riding "franken-cyclones"
-The biker gang in NG#3 mounted weapons on their bikes, which likely are not standard so "franken"
-vehicles in "Eulogy" could qualify here to

Nor is the idea necessarily "new", both 1E and 2E have their own takes on modifiying mecha w/non-standard features, which boil down to being "fraken" (IMO). And that is with the material as written.

Plus the idea of "franken" I think naturally goes with the setting. Players likely are not going to have a well stocked repair bay to come back to.

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Response 

C0L_Wolfe  

Subject: Modifying... 
Posted on: August 31, 2011 - 4:23:43 AM

Modifying a cyclone is a bit different that Moving multi-ton Arms and limbs of Destroids and Veritechs to build a franken-mecha, on a planet thats sort-over ran by invid, who seam to run all major manufacturing areas...
and Tommy Gladly ignores the Dialog about things like "Mecha" and "Vertiechs".. since the Sylphid is reffered to as a Veritech 3 times in the show, but Palladium refuses to admit they could make it a transformable fighter.

Masters Saga Fan

Response 

ShadowLogan  

Subject: ... 
Posted on: August 31, 2011 - 5:05:59 PM

Agree there is a difference, so it really depends on just what they have in mind. The examples I gave probably can be covered by the "Vehicle Armor" Skill in anycase w/o special kit-bash rules.

But I think the rules are intended to give more options in repairing mecha. The description in the pre-order page points to it being a jury-rigged affair, which would not be out of the question IMO.

Not going to argue over this point about Tommy. I will say that Palladium probably needs HG's approval to change anything.

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Response 

silverbolt  

Subject: Aww heck 
Posted on: August 31, 2011 - 11:48:17 PM

I'll just be happy to see the write-ups of Rook and Rand.

I'm guessing they'll put in more details of other equipment used, alternate energy rifles, explosives, etc., etc... Which may not sound as fancy, but I'll be happy to get more details.

I bought a seven-dollar pen because I always lose pens and I got sick of not caring. -Mitch Hedberg

Miriya Sterling Fan Club

Response 

Drider  

Subject: hmmmm.... 
Posted on: September 2, 2011 - 8:45:09 PM

it sounds like palladium are getting rid of the manga size books and going back to the old size if their press release for the 1st of september is correct.

to ere is human

Response 

VHT4Defiant  

Subject: Getting rid of Manga size good, the rest probably bad. 
Posted on: September 5, 2011 - 11:25:19 AM

The old edition of the RPG had its problems, but second edition is so bad that whatever they put in probably won't be good. First off, everything will be underated because it's not Macross era. By the logic of the new system no one in their right mind would have stopped producing Valkyries for Alphas. The bonuses are just too skewed.

On top of it, in order to make the game more Rifts like, they've kept most damage levels static or reduced them, while amping up the armor on everything. The big complaint I always heard about Rifts was that it took forever to kill anything.

Then there's the new approach to mega-damage. You know, the one where every little girls makeup box is a mega-damage object. The only thing conventional bullets are good against here are people. Now we've got conventional dune buggies and motorcycles from the Macross era bouncing bullets like tanks. Then of course their are assinine comments in the Southern Cross book about law enforcement agencies wanting that heavier MD pistol to deal with rougher neighborhoods. Are we talking rougher non-micronized Zentraedi neighborhoos here.

There's also no logic of scale. We have fourteen ton Lancer fighters from Macross with twice the main cannon power of a veritech hover tank. This is sported with a better rate of fire and sixteen times the range. All this despite the fact that the Lancers cannons were never even seen in combat.

A good set of rules for enhancing motorcycles and conventional vehicles would be interesting, but we won't get them. It'll probably be something rediculous that lets us amp them up beyond super cyclones.

Looking for write-ups on Rook and Rand, they'll probably pay no attention to the show at all. First edition completely missed that they learned to fly Alpha's at least at a basic level. We'll be lucky if they can fight with a cyclone here.

As for the Sylphid thing. There isn't a big problem that the game doesn't make it a veritech. Aside from transformation not being seen, and structurally looking unlikely (unlike Transformers, veritechs always have telltale signs), the sources in dialogue are dubious. Specifically it's the narrarator who refers to them as veritechs and other times as robotech fighters. This is the same narrator who tells us that Bowie will never know it was General Emerson who sprung him from the brig, only to have Bowie and Dana speculating that it probably was the General only seconds later in dialogue. In short the semi-omniscent narrator needs to be taken with a grain of salt, while the character dialogue is the canon.

Of course the Sylphid provides more examples of what's wrong with these new books. While it's write-up talks about it having the newest generation of energy weapons, it is then listed as having the same old flash lights that they list for the Valkyrie in the Macross book. You know, those same pathetic nose lasers that they also list on the Alpha fighters in the Shadow Chronicles book. Even the number code designation for all the weapons is the same, except they dropped a letter from the ones on the Alpha. They also list the sylphid as running on a fusion reactor while giving it about 40% fo the combat range of the jet fuel powered birds in Macross era. Big sarcastic rrriiiiiigggghhhhtttt! on that one.

It seems like this new system throws in lots of military terms of which the writers clearly have no understanding. Then they threw darts at two boards of capabilities. A good one for Macross and a crappy one for everything else. The sad thing is, with a little thought, they could have been well balanced. In fact a much better job was done with first edition.

Sorry to vent, but these books have been loaded with so much tripe that it is highly unlikely I'll buy the New Generation book.

Response 

Tiree  

Subject: Kill the name Franken Mecha 
Posted on: September 10, 2011 - 8:10:54 AM

P;ease kill the name Franken-Mecha its way too stupid sounding. It feels like a slap in the face of fans of Robotech and the RPG

As for the new RPG w/ Rook, Rand, and Lunk - They don't necessarily need Mecha Combat for the Alpha's and Cyclones. There is no Basic anymore, so if they have pilot veritech skill they can transform the mecha. And they can use their non-mecha HTH

Response 

Abn Taz  

Subject: RPG Player 
Posted on: October 19, 2011 - 2:04:03 AM

Reading some of these comments I wonder if you actually play RPGs are just looking for details about something that you don't have. First of all if you have ever been in the military then you'll know that some systems will be in service for decades before replaced. That might explain why you'll see the same information from eariler Robotech RPG books. So stop whining about that fact. Secondly, who cares if it made to fit the Rifts or not, personally I hope not for several reasons. Rifts is a separate game and has a conversion table for Robotech Mecha so that solves that issue and secondly their is a whole new generation of RPG players that may have never seen the original RPG books so the values set would work for these players. What's the problem? The new TSC RPG book was very informative and useful for almost any one to understand. Do you know hard it is to explain military terms to someone that doesn't know them? The book did a good job of trying to make it understandable for the average non-military person. I can't wait for the two new sourcebooks and I'm sure that they will have duplicate information but it's still MY CHOICE to buy just like it's yours. If you don't like it don't buy it and stop whining about it having the same info.

Brian "Taz" Gehling

Response 

Wolfgang  

Subject: New Sourcebook 
Posted on: October 24, 2011 - 2:55:09 AM

I'm glad there's a another source book on the way, I own almost all of the original RPG books and the first two from this new 2nd Edition and I'll probably end up getting all of them as well and to hell with reprints.

Reprints are fine when they fit the setting being written not just to fill page numbers.

Of course the Invid will be mostly reprinted but with it will hopefully be New Gen specific material to break it up which will probably be mostly rewritten from the original Invid Invasion book I already own. But as noted I will still get this more for collector value as I'm finding it very hard to get players for it.

At any rate new book = +1 for me!!

Please release more more!!!!!!!

The God Emperor

500 Trillion screaming fanatics can't be wrong.

Response 

EH  

Subject: Invid Invasion Writer 
Posted on: November 30, 2011 - 8:52:43 AM

I knew the writer some time ago and Irvin was a good GM of RPGs in general. I also liked his since of balance the ability to set the right mood for our campaigns.

Also, he is a talented writer, so I think any serious Robotech RPG fan should give the book a chance. of course I'm biased, so there you go.

Response 

Chris0013  

Subject: Issue with stats... 
Posted on: November 30, 2011 - 9:54:55 AM

The real issue is that across the whole new line there is no consistency with the stats...even at times within a single book...in TSC Rand's Cyclone pistol has 2 different sets of stats...before starting Palladium should have determined the technical stuff across the board and then work on the background info. As well...the armor levels should have been adjusted downward from the original stats in most cases....the Destroids/Battloids/VHT should have heavy armor...but flying VTs and Cyclones should not.

Is there a way to change my rank to "Civilian Contractor"??

Response 

C0L_Wolfe  

Subject: Irvine Jackson... 
Posted on: December 1, 2011 - 10:04:47 AM

is a Macross Fan-boi. I've read his Personal site where he basically says he tosses out the Last 2 parts of Robotech because he feels they are "stupid"... so IDK why Kevin would pick him to Write a Freaking Book on the Last era...

Masters Saga Fan

Response 

Treiz  

Subject: meh 
Posted on: December 6, 2011 - 12:16:51 AM

Got my copy today, looks pretty awesome so far.

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Response 

Tiree  

Subject: Jackson 
Posted on: December 23, 2011 - 5:20:54 PM

I'm with you on that Wolfe. He is a Macross Fan, and oddly Kevin was meant to write this book. But he passed it onto a rather new RPG writer. One who enjoys Robotech, and I am sure could have done some justice to it.

But it does look like a fan-boi wrote the book, not a professional RPG writer. In a way, I am kind of ticked about the section that was written, as if it was a GM talking to a Player/GM's. Not a narrative of the world, or frankly how any other RPG writer writes.

The Franken-Mecha was more of a loose guidelines, than actual use. You can do anything, if you roll your skill with these negatives! And if you fail, then you could get some combat abilities taken off. It was cheezeball and not very well done IMO. Stan Bundy had a very good chart and system set up.

About the best thing that this book covers, is the Flower of Life. What each section is used for, and the Protoculture Farm. The life of a person who had been captured by the Invid.

Overall - I was underwhelmed by this book. I did buy 2 because I always do. One from the FLGS and one direct. But I'd rather lend my copy to others than have them purchase it.

Response 

Gorbashsama  

Subject: dissapointed 
Posted on: February 28, 2012 - 4:25:18 PM

I got this book hoping for info on certain things of which I got none.
There are plenty of places in earlier books where mecha weapons, equipment, optional weapon systems, and stats are supposedly going to be addressed in "a later book"
Things like the under wing mounted missiles, bombs, or gun pods used with various fighters, alphas, and betas, perhaps some expansion on the cyclones weapons, maybe even that damn super shadow fighter I've been waiting forever to get stats on (and no I dont mean a regular shadow fighter with an armor fastpack strapped on)
I'd love to see any of these, or perhaps some updated stats on destroids, or maybe some clarification on the specs for things that were screwed up in earlier releases. I swear it's so contradictory and full of typos that you can't come up with a decent set of flight speeds for any alpha. (just look at the speeds listed for the VF/A-6X in shadow chronicles, thats pretty much unusable)
The invid info and some of the setting info was ok, but lets be honest here, filling a 3rd of the book with fluff, and statistical data for things like moving in snow, was a lame way to fill in space and up the page count. Barely any of this was of real use to me as a player unless I intend to make a new character under one of the new O.C.C.'s, I MIGHT get some use out of the frankenmech stuff, but other than that, I felt it was a waste of money, and only a small sample was much use to my GM.
Overall, I found very little info here to be new, most of it was copied from elsewhere, and perhaps cleaned up a bit. Guess next time I should wait on ordering my book till I can look through a copy huh?
But really you would think the New Generations source book would cover info and update the stats for the mechs IN new generation

Response 

Knight Six  

Subject: Curious 
Posted on: March 15, 2012 - 4:17:54 PM

Is there a good site that lists the mecha and a table of contents or not? Quite frankly I am not a fan of the game at all, but it often does at times have interesting information in it or illustrations.

-From someone else "Be careful"
-From me "Sure I won't."
Return to Message Index Report a problem

By using this Web site, you are agreeing to the Terms of Use.
Privacy Policy | Contact Us | About Robotech.com

©1985-2012 Harmony Gold USA, Inc. All rights reserved.