Robotech - The Official Headquarters of the Robotech Universe!
The Macross SagaThe Robotech MastersThe New GenerationThe Shadow Chroniclescoming soon
NEWS
COMMUNITY
INFOPEDIA
GALLERY
STORE
SEARCH

RDF MEMBER
JOIN NOW
Forgot your Password?

RT Soundtracks
New Tunes!

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles movie
On Blu-Ray & DVD

faqs
Community » Forums » The Lounge » Discussion Thread » Page [1] 2

Topic Author

Discussion Topic

Jerry1976  

Subject: The Sinking of the Titanic 100 years later. 
Started on: April 14, 2012 - 8:18:38 AM

Tonight at 11:40 pm marks 100 years since the pride of the now defunct White Star Line the RMS Titanic struck the iceberg. What are your thoughts on the anniversary?

Robotech Marine Corps
A.k.L. member
First Mate of the Banshee
Weilder of the giant squid.
Admiral Jerry,Commander in Chief of Starfleet
United States Navy, retired
Return to Message Index Report a problem

Response 1 of 36 

lexxrobotech  

Subject: ... 
Posted on: April 14, 2012 - 11:17:45 AM

Well, it was tragic, but the thing that gets me is why there is so much interest in this particular wreck. I never quite get what makes this one so much more interesting than some of historys others.

The Original, Rick Hunter.

Response 

Stigsentry87  

Subject: My Thoughts 
Posted on: April 14, 2012 - 11:54:06 AM

Its both Sombre and joyous. New things about its demise have been found in the last 10 years. It sucks that the last survivor died before this day came.

Member of the Earth Liberation Force. WE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL EARTH IS WON BACK FROM THE INBIT!!!

DOL member

Response 

jeanie  

Subject: lexx 
Posted on: April 14, 2012 - 12:09:13 PM

For me, it's an example of human pride getting the slapdown! "Unsinkable, huh?" Mother Nature throws an iceberg at it! We need to be reminded humans are NOT the boss of the universe.

If it ain't in the Robotech show itself... It didn't neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks. Even the ones who bug me.

Response 

Scrappy  

Subject: Lexxrobotech: 
Posted on: April 14, 2012 - 4:15:02 PM

Well, it was tragic, but the thing that gets me is why there is so much interest in this particular wreck. I never quite get what makes this one so much more interesting than some of historys others.

Thank You!!! My feelings exactly!!!
I got into trouble with all the Titanic fans at work the other day when I was asked if I was going to watch The Final Word on National Geographic. My response:
It hit an iceberg.
It sank.
People died.
What more do we need to know?
What I really want to know is if The Final Word will also be the final documentary on the subject so we don't have to watch another Titanic documentary about how the sinking has been definitively solved...again.

Hi! I don't care! Thanks!

Response 

Jerry1976  

Subject: Good points there Lexxx and Scrappy. 
Posted on: April 14, 2012 - 5:01:39 PM

I've always been fascinated with the Titanic. One of the more endearing things associated with the Titanic is the story of the Strauses. Ida refused to get in a lifeboat and stayed with her husband Isidor the founder of Macy's. She said something along the lines of where you go I go. If that's not love I don't know what is.

Robotech Marine Corps
A.k.L. member

Response 

MarkWarlock  

Subject: hmmmm 
Posted on: April 14, 2012 - 7:41:33 PM
Edited on: April 14, 2012 - 7:47:15 PM

What are your thoughts on the anniversary?

Yep... she's still down there.

But seriously... I think what has always drawn people to Titanic versus others ships like the Wilhelm Gustloff is complete story of Titanic.

She was the largest ship of her day and I think at the time she went down, it was the worst maritime disaster.

Titanic set the standard for luxury and over indulgence. Her First class Cabins rivaled some of the best accommodations of the finest hotels and her second class was said to be better the first class of other ships.

Then there's the idea that the ship was doomed from the start... Calling the ship "Unsinkable" was like asking for something to happen. Then there were issues during construction... bad omens once she left for Belfast. Even a near collision with a smaller ship.

Then the monumental screw ups and bad decision made which lead to all the deaths...
It's like all the bad stars aligned and all the negative energy converged on Titanic that April night.

Then you stop and think of the human aspect of Titanicís story. From the wealthiest in their first class cabins to the coal shovelers in the boiler rooms, from the oldest to the youngest of her passengers, Titanic was the great equalizer. It didnít matter what your status was or how old you were.. fate decided who lived and who died.

Eventually Titanic will fade into memory, her beaten and torn remains will soon be little more than a rust colored stain on the ocean floor. SoÖ personallyÖ I donít mind the attention she gets. After all fate has still yet to issue the final injustice for Titanic.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? -Albert Einstein

Find Me on Myspace
http://www.myspace.com/markwarlock

Response 

ORCA13  

Subject: The reason... 
Posted on: April 14, 2012 - 10:58:05 PM

It is a fascinating story. An example of man's hubris. The examples of how people faced their fates. A ship that was a beautiful technical achievement of her time comes to this sudden & abrupt end. due to negligence, and so many lives were lost because of it. Very tragice when it could have been avoided.

Through I have always been fascinated with Titanic, I don't really like the Cameron film. The technical aspects are superb. Awesome attention to detail in bringing Titanic back to life. What ruined it for me was that predictable love story. There was enough drama n tragedy in the real event.

For those interested, read Walter Lord's A Night to Remember. Best book on the subject. Also the movie is very good. Also watch the A&E special on the Titanic. Excellent

But to sum it up, Titanic still has lessons to teach us. More that just a simple it hit n iceberg & sank. Its a prime example of what happens when we get too sure of ourselves, that no matter how technologically advanced we get, things can still go terribly wrong.

85er 4 Life!!!!

Sith rule!

"Two there should be;no more,no less. One to embody the power,the other to crave it." Darth Bane

"Know your enemy.Know yourself." Sun-Tzu

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

Response 

magalord1  

Subject: Re: James Cameron's Titanic 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 12:28:30 AM

Through I have always been fascinated with Titanic, I don't really like the Cameron film. The technical aspects are superb. Awesome attention to detail in bringing Titanic back to life. What ruined it for me was that predictable love story. There was enough drama n tragedy in the real event.

I had similar thoughts. I didn't care for the love story either. Or the fact that Bill Paxton's character goes to all of the trouble and expense to find that jewel, only for old Rose to have it with her all this time, then chucks it into the sea and dies in her sleep. Also I didn't like how the Titanic's crew were portraied.

For those interested, read Walter Lord's A Night to Remember. Best book on the subject. Also the movie is very good.
I agree about the movie, A Night To Remember. I liked the character portrails much better.

You're never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Response 

lexxrobotech  

Subject: ... 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 9:53:32 AM

MarkWarlock & ORCA13 :

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not interesting or that there aren't lesson's we can learn from it. I don't have a problem at all with people learning about it at all... I'm just saying that I don't understand why Titanic stands out more than some other wrecks.

For me personally, I think a wreck like the Lusitania is of far more historical interest than the Titanic, and that a wreck like the Dona Paz (I stand to be corrected - but I think that the death toll was around 4000 people) was a far bigger tragedy.

The Original, Rick Hunter.

Response 

Jerry1976  

Subject: Magalord Mark Warlock and Orca13. 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 11:31:34 AM

You all make very good points there. There a few things I can't get over. First how they treated the third class passengers. They were treated like animals being locked behind gates thus leading to the tremendous loss of life among third class passengers. Secondly why did they lower so many lifeboats that were half full? Thirdly several passengers in the lifeboats said they saw the ship break in half,BUT two officers said the ship sank intact. So they decided to believe the two officers rather than the others. We wouldn't know for sure until Dr. Ballard and his team found the wreck site in Sept. 1985.

Robotech Marine Corps
A.k.L. member

Response 

emjar  

Subject: It reminds me of a little saying I heard 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 1:47:15 PM

Professionals built the Titanic.

Amateurs built the Ark.

Meaning to say, Professional doesn't always mean good.

Theres no denying it. Sammie & Annie are Mother & Daughter
Messiah of D.o.M.a.D. (Disciples of the Mother and Daughter = Sammie & Annie).
Whamhammer is my chief Disciple.

Response 

Jerry1976  

Subject: Too true Emjar. 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 3:56:34 PM

The new mini-series on ABC about Titanic isn't that bad. Part 4 airs tonight.

Robotech Marine Corps
A.k.L. member

Response 

ORCA13  

Subject: magalord1 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 8:55:22 PM

There is actually a deleted scene where he finds out she has it and tries to get her to give it to him. But she drops it into the water before his eyes.

I agree about the portrayal of the crew.

85er 4 Life!!!!

Sith rule!

"Two there should be;no more,no less. One to embody the power,the other to crave it." Darth Bane

Response 

magalord1  

Subject: ORCA13 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 8:57:36 PM

There is actually a deleted scene where he finds out she has it and tries to get her to give it to him. But she drops it into the water before his eyes.
Really. I never saw that one.

You're never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Response 

ORCA13  

Subject: Lexxrobotech.... 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 9:07:35 PM

Like I said, it's bc of all the missed opportunities to stop it. As Walter Lord put it,"the if only."

If only they had heeded the ice warnings
If only there were enough lifeboats,
What if the Californian had turned her wireless back on when she saw the rockets? Could she have saved more lives?
What if instead of trying to reverse the ship they had gone full speed ahead & turned when the berg was sighted?
What if they had not been going so fast?
If the lookouts had binoculars, could they have helped?
What if?

That's one of the things that haunts people about her.
Don't get me wrong, Lusitania was horrific in her own right. But I don't really see how u can compare the two. Different disasters different circumstances.

But like I said, the thing about Titanic is the cold brutal lesson she taught us: pride goeth b4 the fall.

85er 4 Life!!!!

Sith rule!

Response 

ORCA13  

Subject: Jerry1976... 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 9:23:36 PM

That's also a part of the tragic story.

Third class was basically neglected to death. Tragically some of them thought that after the other classes were taken care of, they would b next. Or when they tried on their own, after navigating the maze of corridors, they either got topside too late or never got topside at all.

There are a couple of reasons about the lifeboats:
People were initially unwilling to get into them. They felt safer on Titanic bc she was very stable when the ist boats were launched & passengers (and not a lot of crew) didn't know how bad off she was. There is a fine line between urgency & panic.

Also some experts believe that the crew didn't know exactly ow many people that could b put into a lifeboat. That u could possibly cram them full.

As far as breaking in half: there were passengers that said she broke in half. True. But they were NOT seamen, so the investigation boards didn't believe them.so, nor did historians. Especially since the crewmen didn't see it. People thought they were mistaken or didn't know what they were sinking. Or the thought of something that catastrophic happening was too hard. Bad enough for her to sink...but break in half?

They made ANOTHER Titanic movie?

85er 4 Life!!!!

Sith rule!

Response 

ORCA13  

Subject: magalord1 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 9:24:39 PM

I think I saw it on YouTube.but that's what happened.

85er 4 Life!!!!

Sith rule!

Response 

mecha2241a  

Subject: Yeah 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 9:38:27 PM

ABC had a 4-part series. I saw about 10 minutes of it, from what I saw it was boring and cheesy so I tuned out.

Official MECHAnized Enforcment Unit of the Dark Fin and Wielder of the Grouper of Death(tm) and the Obsidian Tuna of Maiming.
Member of the R.M.C. Juni's original whipping boy.

Response 

ORCA13  

Subject: .... 
Posted on: April 15, 2012 - 9:53:49 PM

The name is so much associated with disaster that I doub there will ever be an ocean liner named Titanic & that's a shame.

85er 4 Life!!!!

Sith rule!

Return to Message Index  |  Go to Page [1] 2 Report a problem

By using this Web site, you are agreeing to the Terms of Use.
Privacy Policy | Contact Us | About Robotech.com

©1985-2012 Harmony Gold USA, Inc. All rights reserved.